Tuesday, October 23, 2007

One of my Favorite places



I've been thinking a lot about this bookstore lately - its one of my favorites in seattle, and it always seems to be such a warm, welcoming place on cold winter days. When my i was younger my dad worked downtown across the street from the Kingdome and on days when i would go into work with him, good behavior was almost always rewarded with a trip to Elliott Bay Bookstore. We'd stop by Dome Burger for lunch and eat upstairs overlooking Pioneer Square, and then we'd head over to the bookstore after lunch, and i'd be allowed to pick out a book. In the evening, before we caught the bus home by the funny triangle shaped building in Chinatown, we might head over to the bakery on Pioneer Square, who sold loaves in the shape of bunnies.

Both my parents always encouraged reading - anytime we headed to a bookstore it seems like i was allowed to pick out one or two things to bring home. Sometimes mom, renick and i would have dinner at Toshi's down in Kenmore and stop at the B Dalton next door before going home and I would get the new Christopher Pike or Fear Street. And bookorders - do you remember those? Oh my gosh, I'd go crazy, picking out 7-8 books and then that magical day when you got back in from recess to find them sitting on your desk, in a nice stack, waiting to be taken home and read! We also walked a lot when we were kids, child abuse at the time, but one of the great Friday night walks was from Koren and dads over on 4th and Latona to the U bookstore, where dad could leave me happily sitting on the floor by the Nancy Drews while he kept an eye on me from a distance.

2 comments:

Kristen Gough said...

i love this post! and i love your love for books. and bookstores. :) today it is rainy and blustery in seattle; a perfect day for meeting at a coffeehouse/bookstore, and cozying up with hot chocolate and good reads. love you!

Jesse said...

What are you up to with your time today?