Monday, May 24, 2010

One Month In..



Week 4 is upon us. I'm still pretty tired, and still feel pretty desperate when I'm up with her in the middle of the night and NOTHING will prompt her to sleep, but good moments are outweighing the bad i think, and we're sort of flirting with an attempt at a routine, so these things are all happy bullet points to hold on to.. I get down way to easy (this has always been the case, not just a baby -related syndrome), and have to constantly remind myself that all is not lost, the world isn't ending, and that this too shall pass (whatever "this" happens to be). ironically, i know that i love this little newborn olive, and that i love the cuddly, small stage that she is in, and that she won't be this small again.. its that balance again - trying to find it is always a challenge.

bryan's parents were out this past week, and how nice it was to have them here - we did NOTHING besides look at olive and keep strange hours - grandma and grandpa helping out with late night rocking and shooshing. olive is lucky to have such a great set of grandparents from both sides - all of whom are happy to hop on a plane and come and visit us, hold her when she's doing the mysterious baby fussing, and get her to sleep only the way grandparents know how..

i think summer has arrived in indy - we've started closing up the house during the day, eating large amounts of ice cream and Popsicles, and listening to milo do some non-stop panting at night. I've got two books open at the moment - both great ones for early summer: Botany of Desire (sent for Bryan from my mom, but I've stolen it for the moment) and Half-Magic, a book my dad read to me during the summers when I was younger..

Today has been lazy, but I'm still not sure how it's almost 5pm already. I'm not sure how moms do anything - how do you have energy to do anything? our biggest activity today was a walk around the block - laundry is done but not put away (about 4 loads), dishes dirty, dogs not walked...

No comments: