Wednesday, June 27, 2007

summer

A good friend of mine just wrote about her first day of summer vacation and it reminded me that even though i may no longer get the summer vacation of lore: seemingly endless months and months off between june and september, that i still think of these great months of hot weather as summertime in my head.
hahaha - now that i think of it - this might be my first official summer as a working adult - i guess thats what happens when you go to school for years and years!

I am happy to have a job (so happy!) but i will be putting lemons in my hair for the sun to work its magic during the weekend, and i will be reading and reading during the summer evenings. You know what one of my favorite parts of summertime was as a kid? the local library reading program, where you go down and sign up, recording all the books you read during the summer, getting stickers along the way! Wasnt that fun? our library was just a (long)block away, but you could make it shorter by cutting through the back of the hill, and coming down right in front of the lib instead of going all the way around. that way was only really safe to do with older brothers though, as they helped keep the scary dogs and weird people (mostly in little sisters imaginations) at bay.
I wonder why they dont do these awesome summer reading programs for grown ups? i still like getting stickers and seeing my long, wonderfully filled out little sheet of "Books I've Read This Summer."
Well - if anyone wants some fun stickers for reading books, you know who to tell!

No comments: